Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Thoughts on Ryback

With Ryback officially being thrust into the main event of Hell in a Cell last night, I thought it would be a fitting time to take a look at WWE's newest project.

First of all, no matter what you think of Ryback it is 100% clear to me that he is over now.  For a bit it was kind of touch and go.  The derisive "Goldberg" chants told you what the WWE Universe thought of the former Skip Sheffield.  That being said Ryback has now capture the audience's attention and is being put in a situation where he has the opportunity to thrive.

I do think the "Golberg clone" talking point is a legitimate one.  The problem is, "There's nothing new under the sun" as they say so I don't necessarily think it matters that the gimmick reminds me of Goldberg.  What does matter is that they give Ryback something interesting to do now that handicap matches against enhancement talent have run their course.  The handicap match gimmick was fine for what it's worth and it even gave us some funny moments like the BAMA boys in Baton Rouge and Rutherford "PS" Hayes, but it had run its course.

The presentation of Ryback is an absolute winner.  The theme music with the Mortal Kombat-esque "Feed Me More" works for him.  The arm swinging and pyro works, the fact that he legitimately looks ready to tear someone apart...works.  You know how I'm always talking about how it's the little things that make CM Punk so great?  Well one of those things that Ryback does is related to his entrance.  When his music has done the "Feed Me More" thing a couple of times, he keeps his head down until the last "MORE!" and he raises his head and says "more" with the music.  It's such a little detail and yet it is so awesome.

Ultimately, I would have to say that WWE deserves an A for their handling of their new monster so far.  I may not be the president of the Ryback Fan Club, but I'm thinking about joining at least.

1 comment:

  1. This was an awesome post - one of your best in my opinion!

    I'm on the fence with Ryback myself, but I don't buy-in to the Goldberg stuff so much because Bill Goldberg was hardly the first guy to get that sort of push.

    Furthermore, the fans chanted "Goldberg" at Brock Lesnar once upon a time, and I'd say he did okay for himself in the end!

    I think fighting Punk is the best thing WWE can do with Ryback. he will learn a lot more inside the ring with Punk than he will fighting jobbers.

    I don't know how much I'll actually cheer Ryback, but I WANT him to succeed. He's worked hard to get where he is (paid his dues, etc) and we need new stars.

    Great post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete