Saturday, July 9, 2011

GW's Flashbacks: Favorite Wrestlers Corrected


I mentioned in the inaugural edition of GW's Flashbacks that Dad had forgotten one of his favorites, "Dirty" Dick Slater.  He called the other day and without me bringing it up he had remembered that so I told him to bump someone and I would re-publish the list. 

He first told me to bump Ole Anderson.  I explained that as the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, Ole and Arn were only one entry so he could bump him, but he would also need to bump another worker.  I told him to think about it, but he called back almost immediately.  "Take Sting off," he said.  I told him I figured that Mick Foley would be the one that got cut, but he said it was Sting. 

Here's another issue that I discovered as I copied the list over.  I had written down 10 acts for his list, but there were only 9 in that post.  I did not type "Nature Boy" Ric Flair in so I had omitted one of his favorites on the first list as well.

Here is the corrected list of GW's favorite wrestlers, once again in no particular order:

  • Stan "The Lariat" Hansen

  • "Nature Boy" Ric Flair

  • "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

  • "Fabulous Freebird" Michael 'PS' Hayes

  • "The Universal Heartthrob" Austin Idol

  • The Minnesota Wrecking Crew: Arn and Ole Anderson

  • "Dirty" Dick Slater 

  • Scott Hall

  • Mick Foley

  • Terry Funk
  • 1 comment:

    1. Dave...When I was a child my Grandpa watched "Live Atlanta Wrestling " every Saturday night...and I am sure that this to was were GW found his love for the sport...and I must tell you that GW would have made a pretty good wrestler for "once" he put a figure-4 leg lock on me while we were on the clock providing food for our families...GW would have made a greater manager than wrestler...I digress...having said that I think some homage must be paid to a couple early wrestlers that are not named on the above list...namely Mario Gallento (a good guy),El Mongol (a Mexican with a shaved head and braided pony tail that spoke with grunts imitating a Mongolian dialect),the Monroe Bros. (Rocket and Sputnik who would run their middle fingers down their face from forehead across the bridge of their nose across their lips and stop at their chins), Baron von Raschke
      (http://www.baronvonraschke.com/history/) and of course Mad dog Vachon...at some point I lost interest in the sport that GW refers to as the only "true" sport for all others (such as MLB/NBA/NFL/NASCAR) are all "fake"...I am humble...and probably not knowledgeable enough to make an entry on this S.A.W. site but as a "honorary McKinney" I feel as though I can !

      ReplyDelete